Monday, September 15, 2008

Still alive

Man, I'm a bad blogger aren't I? It's been a week... oops. Still do not have internet access at home, so of course as you know, that is my excuse. :)

SO! My first day at my new job was Wednesday, and my second day was Saturday. They went alright. It's tough going back into restaurant work when I've been removed from it for a few years, and especially tough to walk into a brand new job as a supervisor. It's overwhelming in fact. I'm sure that I will like it a lot more once I'm comfortable there. It's the little things really... I mean, I know how a restaurant is supposed to operate, how servers are supposed to serve their tables, how food is supposed to come out, etc. But learning where to stash my coffee cup during service, where all the coffee supplies are kept, what sidework the servers are supposed to do before each service, how the kitchen is organized, how the POS system works, who to ask to do what... it's these things that are the hardest! In my last experience, I was able to learn all of those little things by being a server first, and having lots of other servers around that can be totally honest with me and help me out with those little things. It's a little different coming in as a supervisor I guess. I just have to learn by watching as opposed to doing.

All that said, I do like it so far. It's a great restaurant, that's a given. All the people there have been great and very welcoming, which helps a lot. I have my first dinner shift tomorrow, so that should be interesting! I am looking forward to it. I think this is going to be way fun once I settle in.

For anyone who doesn't already know, Paul is also working now too. He is completing his externship (a requirement to finish law school) at a small law firm in Tigard (suburb). He seems to like it so far! They have been keeping him very busy, and it sounds like he is doing an excellent job. That guy never ceases to amaze me. He is ridiculously smart. That firm is lucky to have him... maybe it will turn into a full time position after the externship is over! We shall see...

In other news, we finally have furniture! Remember that camp chair and air mattress I mentioned, oh, a month ago? Well, we were living on that up until a few days ago! We hit IKEA pretty hard and got ourselves all set up - bed, dresser, counter stools, couch, coffee table, media stand, bookshelves - it's awesome! We even got a real mattress which was delivered yesterday. Last night was the first good night's sleep we've gotten in a while! I don't have any pics to post yet, but I will soon. I want to get everything just so before unveiling. You understand.

In general, life is good right now. The weather has been outstanding, I have a JOB, we have furniture... what else could we ask for? While we have gotten out and explored a few other neighborhoods, the Pearl (our 'hood) still amazes me. Sometimes I'll be walking down the street, past Jamison Square or something, and it hits me... wow. I live here. This is my neighborhood. I heart this city.

Tomorrow is our official one-month anniversary of living in PDX! So the question is... how long before I have to change the name of this blog from "moving to" to "living in?"

Paul has expressed some interest in adding a post or two to this blog, so maybe next time you'll hear from him! I'm sure you are sick of hearing my point of view by now. :) And I'm sorry I don't have any photos to share this time! Life has been a little crazy I guess. Photos of the apartment coming soon. Oh, and keep the comments coming! We loves it! :)

Love,
Jenny

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny story...The owner of my company goes to Portland all the time and I mentioned that you guys were living there, yadda yadda. I then asked him if he had eaten at your restaurant and he was like "ALL THE TIME!" :) Sounds like a great place.

Unknown said...

Hey Jenny!

Glad to hear you found a job! I know exactly how you feel coming into a job as a supervisor as I have done it several times! I have had been transferred throughout my company and had to travel to other stores alot alot alot! As a matter of fact I am being transferred next week, so I have to start all over again! People definately treat you differently when you are the boss. On that note, I hope your employee's treat you well. A little advice, take it or leave it: show some interest in your employee's opinions! Ask lots of questions and listen to what they have to say. You'll earn their trust, respect and they will appreciate you taking an interest in their comments and concerns. And make sure to thank them for their hard work as much as possible, people are motivated when they feel appreciated and their hard work is noticed. All stuff I am sure you know from your previous management experience... but I thought I would throw it as I know how hard it can be to walk into a place as the boss lady!

Love and miss ya!!
Kristy

p.s. the lotion advice you gave karie for the mantis... OMG you are too funny!! I am still laughing about it :)