Monday, November 17, 2008

Junk to Funk

On Saturday night our lovely, lovely friends Sam and Audra took us to the most interesting fashion show I've ever been to. It's called Junk to Funk, an annual event to showcase wearable fashion made from, well, junk (think "Derelicte" from Zoolander, but way better). I think "trashion" is the appropriate term. It was amazing. There were 30 contestants who each made an ensemble from random findings - Sam and Audra's friend Emie was in the show wearing her creation, a corset made from wire hangers and bottle caps shaped like a butterfly in the front ("Madame Bottlefly," so cute!). There was an outfit made entirely from old power-suit shoulder pads, a gown made of pages from Vogue, a gown made from couch scraps that looked straight from Marie Antoinette, a cocktail dress made from record albums... you get the idea. It was so fun!

The only bummer of the night was that I forgot to charge my camera battery. Boo! I was only able to take a few blurry shots of the show while my camera was busy dying. The biggest bummer is that I didn't get to take a pic of Audra and I, undoubtedly the hottest things there. I finally got to take my Betsy Johnson dress out for a night on the town, and Audra had this sassy hot pink pill hat with a Russian Tulle blusher-type-thing on it... I mean, damn. But, you'll just have to use your imagination. :)

I cannot quite remember what this was made from, but it was adorable:


This is the gown made from old Vogue pages:
A very unclear shot of the record album dress:
This is Emie, or Madame Bottlefly :)
I can't remember what this gown was made from either...

And a final catwalk by some of the contestants:
(That is our mayor-elect Sam Adams in the background emceeing, with the blue bubble-wrap tux jacket)

I must apologize for the quality of the photos. With the battery clinging to life, my camera wasn't adjusting to lighting and whatnot very well, and also wouldn't let me zoom. We'll have to go next year. :)
I am about to embark on a glorious 3-day weekend, very excited! I wish I had some glamorous plans for my time off, but I can assure you it will consist mostly of cleaning house and riding bike. Oh! Some girls from work and I are going to a hip-hop class tonight, which should be interesting... I have no idea if I can dance like that anymore. Should be awesome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks like a lot of fun! (and for once, I read the new post before mom :-)

Anonymous said...

oh em gee, i love it! good work. twas a lovely evening indeed. we were so cute, possibly the cutest the both of us have ever looked. we'll have to recreate that night & have a photo shoot very soon!