Tuesday, September 15, 2009

We are BACK!

After over a full month of undocumented life, I am proud to introduce the newest member of our family, Nikon D3000!

Hallelujah

I was pretty certain that the death of my Sony was a sign that I needed to upgrade. After much research I decided on the Nikon D3000, a 10MP DSLR with lots of bells and whistles. It will be some time before I actually learn how to use the bells and whistles of course, but it's been a lot of fun to play around with the settings to see what comes out. In one week of ownership, I have already logged over 1,200 shots. I think I have an addiction.

Since I have tons of pictures, I plan on doing three new blog posts tonight to break them up. Here are some of the first few test shots taken around town, just trying to learn the ropes!

The first shot taken... of course it's of Buckley!

Current crochet project

Could he be any cuter??

We headed out for a walk in Forest Park for our first "photo shoot." :)







Slightly edited, but cool nonetheless :)

A night shot of the view from our balcony

I also took some pictures of the good old VQ for good measure.

VQ patio

Some of our hanging begonias


We took our bikes out to the east bank of the river to get some good skyline shots, but first stopped off at this amazing pod of food carts at SE 12th & Hawthorne. This is one of the only late-night food cart pods, as most are just open for lunch. Belgian frites (with endless dipping sauce options), shrimp and catfish po' boys, sweet and savory crepes, fried pies... there is no shortage of deliciousness here. We opted for some frites and then some crepes, which were amazing. This is a really fun spot, lots of good energy and neighborliness (did I just make that word up?). I kind of wish we lived closer.

Cart life

I had previously failed to take any decent skyline shots with my old camera, since I didn't have the ability to leave the shutter open for any length of time. These were taken with the shutter open for 25 seconds, allowing much more light to get in. Unfortunately, it was a really windy night and I couldn't keep the camera from moving a little bit, so they came out kind of blurry. I'm sure I'll be able to take more in the future though. :)

Bright lights, big city

The Hawthorne Bridge heading into downtown

Needless to say, I've been having a ball running around and taking pictures of everything, anything. I hope you like looking at pictures... more to come!

Love,
Jenny

1 comment:

Dad C. said...

Wow...new format, new camera, new pictures - welcome back! Love Dad