Saturday, January 17, 2009

Rocky Butte

We've had a glorious string of sunny 55 degree days this week. Retribution for Arctic Blast 2008 perhaps? In any case, eat your heart out Michiganders. :)

On Thursday we took our bikes out with our friends Nikolos and Jackie to enjoy the sunshine. We headed out to Rocky Butte, an extinct volcano that now is home to an incredible park.

This is the city from across the Steel Bridge, right by where we live.

In total, it's about 10 miles from our building to Rocky Butte... and that last mile is steep. Just a subtle reminder of how out of shape I am! When you get up to the top of the hill, there is this giant stone wall that encircles the top (that looks like, as Nikolos put it, Mr. Burns' house). Once you get up there, it's mountains in every direction! Here is Mt. Hood:

Walking around the top:

Mt. Hood again:


Jackie looking at Mt. St. Helens. On a really, really clear day, you could probably also see Mt. Rainier behind that.

Mt. St. Helens (left) and Mt. Adams (right):

See that teeny tiny clump of the buildings right in the middle of this picture? That's downtown. We rode our bikes that whole way! I was pretty proud of myself.

This little directory thingy sat on the top of the stone pillar, pointing to each mountain. I wasn't tall enough to get the whole thing.



It was really just breathtaking, not to mention humbling, to be up there. I felt very, very small. And hey, that's a good feeling. :)

I did not feel so small after the four of us rode our bikes to Apizza Scholls and killed two whole pies though. But, that is also a good feeling. It had been a little while, I almost forgot how amazing their pizza is!

Nothing terribly exciting going on here, I just wanted to share those photos. Paul has been busy studying for the bar exam, which is now only a little over a month away! Time is just flying by out here. Oh, and I got my window fixed yesterday. :) I hope the universe comes down on whoever cost me that time and money. Grrrrrr.

Love,
Jenny

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, d-d-don't be so smug...here in M-M-Michigan, we're enjoying a st-tring of b-b-b-below zero cloudy days, and today, with six inches of snow and 20mph winds!! Seriously, looks like a fun trip, especially ending it with the pizza. Mmmmmm...can almost taste it!!