Saturday, December 5, 2009

Thanksgiving 2009

Well, only a full week late... but here is the Thanksgiving post! My parents ventured to PDX for the holiday (after visiting their long lost slot machines in Vegas of course). It was a short trip, so there wasn't too much time for anything other than hangin' out and prepping the big dinner... so that's what we did. :)

Oh, and this post is a combination of my photos and my Dad's (since at any given moment, one of us was snapping one).

Relaxin' all cool.

Buckley getting reacquainted... kisses!

"Ok, NO!"

He eventually settled down.

Whatchu lookin' at?

On their first morning here, they woke up to a beautiful sunrise over Mt. Hood.

From their room (from my Dad's photos).

Breakfast at the Pearl Bakery.

In the Pearl, on our way to grocery shop for Thanksgiving dinner.

Walking back home with the goods.

After shopping for dinner, it was time for lunch. Somehow, I convinced my Mom to give the food carts a shot! Epic win. I didn't even care what we ate for the rest of their trip. I think when I mentioned a cart with pierogi, that changed everything for her.


We ended up with potato & cheese and farmers cheese pierogi from the Polish cart, some pitas from the Bosnian cart (both the spinach and meat varieties), and bratwurst from the German cart. And they loved it. Woohoo! So glad they got to taste a little of true Portland.


After hours and hours (well, maybe more like two) of prepping, we all headed to Deschutes to enjoy some beer. Deschutes is a brewery out of Bend, OR with a satellite brewery a couple blocks from our place. I used to think their beer was just OK, but recently it's grown on me... they have a sublime imperial stout (The Abyss) and oak-aged barley wine (Mirror Mirror), and they usually have some sort of experimental/small batch/special brew on tap which has always been good.

We prefer our beer in snifters.

The weather was total crap on Thanksgiving, so it was pretty much an indoor day. I cooked (most of) my first Thanksgiving dinner! And it was a success! Cooking a turkey is way easier than I thought it would be. My mom helped with everything and Paul made the giblet gravy, so I cannot take all the credit.





The feast


Our little table

I was so excited for these napkins... ah, the little things

What else would I be doing?

After dinner, turkey naps, and several rounds of Catch Phrase, their visit was pretty much over. It was nice to have them here for the holiday, even though it was short... but we get to see them and the rest of the Mayo gang in a few short weeks in Michigan! It's crazy how this year has flown by.

As a bonus to the holiday, Paul and I also went to see Holly Miranda, The xx and Friendly Fires the night before Thanksgiving at the Doug Fir. Quite possibly one of my favorite shows I've been to, for realsies. We hadn't heard of Holly Miranda before, but whoa... she has this effortlessly beautiful voice that sorta blew me away. As expected, The xx and Friendly Fires rocked as well. It was kind of hard to take really clear photos with the low light, but I did my best.

Holly Miranda

The xx (they're not even 21 yet, totes adorable!)



Friendly Fires set list

Friendly Fires





We even managed to take a couple decent videos with our new Kodak zi8, an HD video camera about the size of a Blackberry. It's crazy! It does not take the highest quality video (I mean, it is 1080p, but it's sorta shaky and not great in low light), but it's great for fun stuff. If this works correctly... this should be The xx performing Crystalised:




And Friendly Fires performing On Board:



Paul and I tried our hand (foot?) at snowshoeing this week also, so I have a whole new post to follow this one! Coming soonish!

Love,
Jenny

1 comment:

Dad said...

Although it was only a couple of days, what a great time! Loved the food carts (can't wait to return), and the dinner you prepared was fabulous. A++!